Books Mentioned on The Spine
- Timeline by Michael Crichton
- Tess of the D’urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
- Mill on the Floss by George Elliot
- A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
- Walden by Henry Thoreau
- Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks
- Midnight Rising by Tony Horowitz
- A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
- The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin
- In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin
- Old Glory by John Rabin
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
- The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
- Purity by Jonathan Franzen
- The Discomfort Zone by Jonathan Franzen
- Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein
- Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- "Being exposed to stories in prepared me for a love of reading later on."
- "I have this rule where if a book doesn’t grab me in the first 15 to 20 pages, I’m just done with it. And it’s probably not a great policy."
- "I could point to a constellation of influences. There was 'A Walk Across America' by Peter Jenkins, 'Into the Wild' by Jon Krakauer, and 'Walden' by Henry Thoreau, and just a number of books that kept telling me, You don’t have to live this ordinary life. You can just get this crazy idea and make it real."